Monday, February 7, 2011

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber

So, I write this at 20,000 feet on an airplane bound for Washington DC. A few months ago, I got a new job, which I love, but one that brings me lots of different places in lots of different ways. One week I'm flying, the next I'm driving and in between I'm losing my focus on Crossfit and my paleo lifestyle.
I always hear people talk about how hard travel is on their diet, and I never doubted it, but because I have been so structured for so long, I mistakenly thought I was immune. I was not. So here I am, heading to DC for a week of meetings, but this time with a plan.

Lets back up just to say that although I've gotten off the path, I was smart enough to catch myself and to know that all I need is a plan. I feel better when I eat well and am getting regular exercise. But more than that, Crossfit and paleo has become kind of who I am... CrossfitChick! And so I found mostly, I was missing myself. I have fun doing Crossfit and pushing myself, and as much as I am grateful for this new opportunity, I don't want to lose myself in the process.
I fully believe to be a good mom, girlfriend, friend and co-worker, I need to be balanced and CrossFit helps me balance.

I indentified a few things that help me stay on track when I'm home:
* The workout plan - going to No Excuses every night is what I do, and they already have the plan prepared for me.
* Eating Paleo - I find it much easier to control my food when I am home or able to chose my restaurant (and pick a place that is paleo friendly)
* Community - most of my close friends live the Crossfit lifestyle, so although I am away from them, I need to find a way to get support while I'm traveling.
* Health- being strong and able to work out is important. I've had a shoulder injury that I let lag for too long and now it's screwing up my back and other arm. Plus I can't do all the WODS in the way I'm supposed to, everything has to be modified. When I modify, I don't feel part of the community, and I don't really feel much like the badass crossfitchick that I try to be. So- this needs to be fixed.


Today is my first day back on the plan which is the same day I am heading out of town. I decided to blog about my travels in hopes it would help me stay on track and who knows, maybe someone else with the same issues will find me and follow along and I can help them too.

I have armed myself with....
*Protein 'shots' to drink every morning. I have noticed on my other meetings that morning meals consist of mainly danishes and crap. I can't be hungry in the morning or I will go for those things. The ones I have I got at Costco and I can quickly chug it before I head downstairs, giving me 30gms protein right off the bat. I'm secretly hoping for eggs but just in case, I have these.
*Lara bars - these are great bars for snacks or breakfast. You can get them at Publix and I brought some to keep in my bag or have for breakfast if there are no other options. They are paleo friendly and gluten free.
* I have travel workouts all ready to go and I brought my own jump rope so I can do that in the room if all else fails. Travel WODS I found on No Excuses website but you can Google it and find them all over the place. I downloaded a tabata timer for my phone and my ipad. (free) My jump rope is super awesome and adjusted so it's the right length for me. There is a lot you get out of a jump rope workout or mix it in with other things.
*For nights when we go out to dinner, I downloaded 'Paleo gogo' app onto my ipad. This will give me a list of restaurants and ideas of what to eat that’s paleo. I really know what is paleo, but sometimes it’s tricky if there’s not a lot of paleo options and this helps show me some ways to be creative.
*Vitamins! I brought my vitamins and fish oil tabs for each day in little zip lock bags. No brainer - just keep them in my purse and have at lunch.
*Community - sometimes you need to just ask for what you need and so I'm going to reach out to my friends via text and facebook to be sure I'm staying on task. Crossfit friends are the best kind of friends and I can always count on them to lift me up when I need it. :) If you are reading.. I need you. Thank you. :)
*And finally- I have downloaded a list of doctors so I can call one when I land and make an appointment for when I am back home.

This week there will be no deserts at all and no bread as much as I can get away with it. I have a big bag of almonds in my bag in case I get hungry and all that is offered is cookies or crap.

I think this week will be amazing and I can leave this meeting at the end of the week feeling better than when I arrived!

Life is full of challenges... you just gotta have a plan.
-CFPC

No comments:

Post a Comment