Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's the time between the 'Somethings' that make it worth while.

Yet another journey....    After modifing my WODs so they did not include anything with my right shoulder, icing forever, tried some active release therapy and finally not being able to sleep without pain, I decided to go to the doctor.  We took some xrays and have a athrogram MRI scheduled for later this week.  Looks like I have a possible SLAP tear in my right shoulder.  They can't confirm that until the MRI but all indications point to that.

A SLAP tear is an injury to a piece of shoulder cartilage called the labrum. This cartilage surrounds the shoulder socket, helping to keep it stable when you move.   Looks like I'll need surgery to repair it and from what I can tell from 'the google', I'll be in a sling for 6 weeks-ish. 

So the next step is Friday I'll have a Arthrogram MRI.  This is where they shoot dye into my right shoulder so they can get better contrast during the MRI. The shoulder is a complex joint, and this allows the doctors to pinpoint much better what needs to be fixed.

I suspect its from over use and maybe a bit of me trying to be so crossfit bad ass.  Kipping pullups seem to be a theme that comes up when I google 'crossfit SLAP tear'.

People say, 'it's always something' and I guess that's true but I actually think it's the time between the  'somethings' that makes life so fun.  If I didn't crossfit, I bet I wouldn't have this injury.  But think of how much I would have missed if I didn't crossfit?  My friends, my health (minus this!),  Craig, and possibily my sanity during some challenging times.  So... if I have to deal with this, and get better, then that's okay with me. 

In the future some things I'll do differently:  
*I won't wait so long to go to the doctor.  Some things you can fix on your own, but I think I knew from the beginning this wasn't one of them.
*I will work more on the METCON part of my WOD instead of lifting heavy.  Maybe I'm past the part of my life where I feel like I have to be able to bench press my body weight.... maybe lifting enough to build my bones and be healthy is more of a goal than a number. 

I was really comfortable with my doctor - Dr. Snehal Dalal in Lawrenceville.  He talked to me as if I understood what the issue was, how we may want to proceed in fixing it and what our next steps are.  I feel like I am really good at reading people and got a good vibe from the whole office. 

I'll update after the MRI reading and we'll see how we are going to proceed!  I'll be happy to be fixed up and pain free!

So.. what now?  I've run a marathon before... maybe I'll get back to running for a while and lay off the shoulder stuff.  :)


-CFPC

1 comment:

  1. check out Ido Portal's shoulder prep series. He has rehabbed thousands of shoulders post-surgery using this.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/portaldo

    ReplyDelete