Monday, May 30, 2011

You decide every moment of every day who you are and what you believe in. You get a second chance every second.

I'm now 7 weeks out of shoulder surgery and feel really good. I don't yet have full range of motion in my arm (I'm not even close) but I am doing SO much better!   I am now able to have my arm out of the sling, can reach up and do my own hair (!) and have been cleared (drum roll please) to RUN!

Now... lets just recap how much I hate to run.  I've run many 10k's, a few 5k's and a marathon... a full 26.2 miles.  But I'm not really a big fan. I get bored and it hurts. I only ran that one back in '98 because it seemed like something most people never did and that appeals to me more than the actually running.

On a good day, I'd much rather crossfit and normally thinking about having a long run would make me want to punch myself in the face.  I remind myself that I am 7 weeks out from shoulder surgery and I have to do what I am allowed to do.  So now I find myself actually excited and feel like this may be the start to something really good for me.

Things to do to prepare:
-I need to get some new running shoes.  I normally crossfit in converse low tops and the running shoes I have are really old.  I remember from my marathon days, I loved Nike running shoes. They fit my feet best so for the sake of time, I think I'll jump online and have them overnighted.
-I need a plan.  So for now it's going to be based on time as opposed to distance. I doubt I can cover much ground just starting out again especially after 7 weeks of inactivity.  So I will go based on time.  3 times a week to start - at least 30 minutes
- Polar Heart Rate monitor.  I want to be able to judge my progress and I think HR may be a good way to do that. I already own a Polar F11 that does all kinds of fancy things - so I pulled that out, got new batteries and set it up.


What else?  Shoes and some motivation and I think thats what makes running a good option for people.  Oh- a goal!  There is a little 5k in a few weeks in town and I think I'll aim to do that for starters.

okay... here we go!  Please message me or comment if you have ideas or thoughts.  I'll gladly welcome any insight!

-CFC
Crossfitchick?  hum.... who do I want to be?  Maybe CrossFitRunningChick for now.  :)

PS- I've been focusing on staying in ketosis with my diet with great success. More on that next time- very interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Hey if you'd like to train for a specific race here's a website that
    has plans for different goals:
    http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=790
    It's has training plans available for different experience levels and
    different distances, thought you might like it.

    Hope this helps and good luck on your recovery

    ReplyDelete